Sunday, August 30, 2026

I am still not entertained!

 GLADIATOR II (2024)
Endured by Jerry Saravia

Maybe gladiator flicks are just not my thing. Maybe I can't lean towards Roman Colosseum fights with other gladiators or ferocious animals. I did like "Spartacus" once upon a time though it is the only Kubrick film I have not seen more than once. Same with Ridley Scott's bloodily tedious, glum "Gladiator" from 2000 with Russell Crowe as Maximus, a gladiator with apparent dreams of a new Rome. I say apparent because I have forgotten most of the original film when I first saw it in 2000. A quarter-century later we get "Gladiator II" which reminds one (thanks to the first film's flashbacks) of this ideal Rome that Maximus envisioned, presumably a place where greed, villainy and gladiator fights do not take place. Unfortunately, this sequel is as tiresome and glum as the original with a presumed hero who doesn't have a tenth of Crowe's charisma.

The new Roman slave, Hanno (also known as Lucius), played by Paul Mescal, is forcefully taken from his home in Numidia. The Roman Army have invaded Numidia and Hanno's wife (Yuval Gonen), a hellacious archer, is killed. Rome is still as vibrantly violent as it once was with two young co-Emperors, a somewhat serious Emperor Geta (ably cast Joseph Quinn) and the overly giddy and insane brother, Emperor Caracalla (Fred Hechinger) who keeps a pet monkey - two dynamic opposite emperors that provide a bit of energy to the story. Denzel Washington is Macrinus, an ex-slave with aspirations to rule Rome though he sits in the sidelines mostly, glancing at everyone and everything and has a clearly murderous bent. Macrinus hopes to have Lucius kill Acacius (Pedro Pascal), a Roman general who is not interested in war or seeing men die. Acacius is married to Lucilla (Connie Nielsen, reprising her role as Lucius' mother) and they both wish to form an insurrection and topple the youngling emperors. Meanwhile Lucius fight gladiator battles against men riding black rhinos and, in one practically laughable sequence, a fight on ships in a flooded arena with CGI sharks!

"Gladiator II" has lots of gory violence involving impalements by arrows and swords and most of it is staged with the typical Ridley Scott stylings of true combat. Most of the film though is uninvolving and I had no rooting interest in anyone and that includes the protagonist. Paul Mescal just doesn't register for me, though he speaks with a Crowe-influence tongue. There is one character named Ravi (Alexander Karim), a former Indian gladiator who became a doctor to nurse the wounded blood-soaked fighters, whom I leaned towards. There is a spark there, some measure of a world described that might have been more interesting if he had been the lead. "Gladiator II" just feels like a wasted opportunity of a sequel, a movie heavy on long-form battle scenes with the barest of interest in the politics of the times or the people. I am still not entertained!  

No comments: